Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kid's quilts

I am working on two baby quilts for nieces... one is actually a baby, the other a very active toddler. I don't get to see them often, as they live in England, but they are very dear indeed. Baby quilts have changed dramatically for me... no longer am I using the sweet, the pastels, the traditional. My colors are much bolder, brighter, less conventional. I have been putting Minky on backs of baby quilts, since I found a terrific resource for fun and funky Minky, but I did have some great flannel to use up. After all, I am STILL trying to give away my $100K stash. Today was challenging, as I am trying out wrist splints for carpal tunnel. I HATE the restrictiveness of them, particularly when using Ethel(longarm), but I really feel that this is the lesser of two evils. I actually started to get used to them. I think of the hours of applique and rotary cutting, productive work. Then I think of the hours of solitare and computer crap, wasted work.

I did two 'tot' quilts for my granddaughters last summer, loved every minute of it. Lots of reinforcement since they are typically a fraction of the size. My 4 year old granddaughter however, got a queen sized one for her bed. Aren't kid fabrics great now? I didn't have a pattern, just started drawing out a plan. Then I saw some blocks made by my friend Linda, and just had to incorporate them into my granddaughter's bed quilt. Then there was a twirling tirt(skirt) to be made as well out of the scraps. Very fun stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment