Thursday, November 11, 2010

eating my words

If I have said 1 time, I have said it at least 100 times.... "I will NEVER have a quilt that is quilted by a long arm machine".  I'm not really sure what the catalyst was, but yesterday, I ordered 'Ethel', my new 24" HQ Fusion long arm.  It could have been my dearest Henz who, after showing off their achievements that had been quilted by LAs, that said "Phidge, you could do this".  It could be that I have seen the quality of the stitches done on a LA have improved.  It could be watching many of my dearies actually finishing a number of projects by sending them out, and knowing that in reality, I will never finish some of my beauties because there just isn't enough time in the day.   But truly, I think it is that fact that my beloved Bernina 1090, purchased in 1990, is feeling the strain of the weight of some of my massives quilts, as am I.  I will really be sad when I have to say goodbye to my Bernina, so I want to nurse her through so she will be with me to piece, but will be dismissed from the heavy quilting. 

At any rate, after weeks and weeks of research, talking to people, driving machines, and inner talking, yesterday was the day.  Ethel will be delivered about November 22, just a few days before Thanksgiving.  I have a purpose now.  So much to do before she arrives.  Henz arrive Saturday morning for our tri-annual Hen Layover.  This will give me a good chance to finish up my darling niece's wedding quilt, only 6 months late.  Henz leave and I'm off to Florida for the wedding of my namesake aunt.  I arrive home the day before Ethel appears at my doorstep. 

Where do I put here, ah, there's the rub.  Space needed is roughly 15' x 8'.  I would really love to put her in my studio, but that is definitely not going to work, so this is the time to use the finished portion of the basement.  Just needs some rearranging and the carpet cleaned.  Guess I know what I will be doing between Hen departure and airport departure. 

God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment